Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Neglect

Brooke poses before a fun run (December 2009)
The Chicago Marathon is 12 days away. As it approaches, I've thought a lot about how running for charity has been a powerful experience -- for me. On the blog and in the monthly e-newsletters, I tend to write about how the past several months have transformed me. I've left out how the experience has affected my sister Brooke.

Honestly, I don't know how it's impacted her. What I do know is that I'm proud of my sister. She loathes running. Absolutely hates it. She doesn't spring out of bed in the morning to run. She waits until after work to do it. Training for her first full marathon is the equivalent of a chore.

Yet, she's about to run 26.2 miles because she wants to honor our dad's memory. She wants to bring attention to the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation and do whatever she can to end cancer.

I couldn't be more proud.

2 comments:

Abby B said...

Yay! Brooke! And, of course, yay Brady!

I think calling the training a chore may be a bit of an understatement for me. Ugh.

I think I remember seeing something about how to follow you and Brooke through the race by receiving texts - I just found out that people can do that for my race too! So cool!

Sarah Jean said...

Love this picture! Again, so excited for you and Brooke (rock stars!).