Monday, October 4, 2010

Final Pre-Race Update: Kicking Cancer's Butt...One Mile at a Time

Brooke (on left) and Brady (on right)  

Hello!

It’s hard to believe that this is the last update Brooke and I will send prior to the Chicago Marathon. This week we are making final preparations for the race—we’re thinking about getting sufficient sleep and eating properly. We’re setting aside our race outfits. We’re stocking up on energy gels and sports beans for the big day. We are getting ready for the marathon!

While Brooke and I look forward to crossing the finish line on Sunday, I, for one, will mourn the end of this journey. This race has dominated my thoughts and conversations for the past eight months. What will I talk about after 10.10.10?

We feel so humbled that we’ve had the opportunity to honor our dad by bringing awareness to the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF) and raising money for research. Our part may be small, but we’re helping fight cancer. The money we’ve raised won’t bring our dad back, but it’s helping fund research that will prolong the lives of other dads and moms. We couldn’t be happier about that.

THANK YOU!
Our supporters – all of you – have made this journey memorable. Thank you for believing in us and the cause! As we run 26.2 miles on the streets of Chicago, we will think of you every step of the way.

We exceeded our goal and have raised $4,780. We’d love to reach $5,000! If you haven’t made a contribution but want to support the cause financially, it is not too late. You can donate by going here. We will continue accepting donations through Oct. 24. All of us have been impacted by cancer. Your dollars not only benefit multiple myeloma patients but have the potential to affect all cancer patients.

We want to say an extra thank-you to those who’ve committed to traveling to Chicago for the marathon. We look forward to sharing this experience with you! We understand getting in the car and driving to Chicago is impossible for most. We will still feel your love and support on race day!

I also want to thank Brooke for her courage to sign up for her first marathon. I know Sunday will be a challenge for her. Whether you’re a novice or a pro, marathons are hard (they’re fun, too!). But she’ll get to look back on 10.10.10 and know she did something very tough to achieve something very good. I’m so proud. I know our dad – wherever he is – couldn’t be prouder of his little blonde bomber.

RACE DAY
You don't have to be in Chicago to experience the marathon! Spectators -- on your couch or in downtown Chicago -- can electronically track multiple runners along the race course by receiving real-time updates via e-mail or text message throughout the race. Updates will be received as runners cross the 10K, halfway (13.1 miles) and 30K checkpoints, as well as the finish line. To sign up for alerts, go here.

You will need the following information for updates: Brady Gervais (Bib #42205), Brooke Ortmann (Bib #42207). My husband Ben (Bib #6739) will also be running the marathon.

Additional information for those who plan to attend the race and/or want to learn more about it can be found from the following sources:

Chicago Marathon
Timeout Chicago
Runners' World



Again, thank you! We hope to make you proud on Sunday!

“I can't wait until this time next week...that means I will have completed 26.2! Whoop! Whoop!” – Brooke


Best,

Brady and Brooke

2 comments:

Abby B said...

I'm signed up to track all three of you!! I'm so excited for you! Good luck!

Sarah Jean said...

Love this picture -- are you going to wear these outfits for the race?