Thursday, October 14, 2010

Final Update: Kicking Cancer's Butt...One Mile at a Time

Hello friends and family!

Brooke and I did it! We ran and finished the Chicago Marathon on Sunday. And, most importantly, we raised more than $5,000 for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF). Ninety-three percent of that money will go toward cancer research.

As all of you know, Brooke and I ran the marathon in memory of our dad, who died at the age of 46 of multiple myeloma, a rare blood cancer. This was our way of honoring him 15 years after his death.

When we signed on to run the Chicago Marathon for the MMRF eight months ago, we didn’t know whether we’d get much support or enough donations. I recall my mom telling me that she’d write a check to make up the difference for whatever we couldn’t raise. But, within minutes of that first e-mail to friends and family, you responded!

Thank you for sharing in this cause with us. Thank you for supporting us with your donations and words. Thank you for spreading the word about our fund-raising efforts. We appreciate you and feel blessed to have you in our lives!

We want to extend a special thank-you to those who traveled to Chicago from Minnesota to cheer us on in your Team Gene shirts. You helped make the race unforgettable! 

Brooke’s Race Report
The dreadful marathon was............great!  I was my own tour guide for the city, and I saw so many neat locations:  Chinatown, the Pilsen neighborhood, Downtown and the Chicago River, and, my favorite, Boys Town! 

For those who know me...I love attention.  I put my name on the front of my MMRF jersey and ran on the far left side of the course so spectators could cheer me on as I passed them.  They were very inspirational.  I also think Brady and I had the best supporters: TEAM GENE.  I was greeted at almost every other mile by Mom, my husband Tony, Paula and Molly Mickelson, Megan and Eric Lund, the Hebig family and my friends Jackie and Alyssa.  They made me feel like a celebrity as I passed...cheering loudly and taking photos! I couldn't have done it with out them.

The run was not my best.  I was hot and miserable.  Although many of us trained throughout the summer, no one anticipated the weather would hit 80-plus degrees and conditions would become potentially dangerous.  My biggest mistake was taking my first walk break...I could feel the legs cramping up.  Each stride I took, the more pain I'd feel, but I kept going.  It wasn't until mile 25 where my body decided to call it quits.  My knee gave out...and I had to walk the last mile in...but I MADE IT!  The first thing I did when I crossed that finish line was head straight to the booth that was serving the beer. Ahhh, refreshing!

Despite the ups and downs of the race, I knew I had an angel, Dad, watching over me.  As many of you know, and for those of who don’t, our dad reminded us of Elvis Presley. There were two spots along the race course where Elvis tunes were blaring...there was also a stage where a man dressed up as Elvis sang his music. As I passed each Elvis, I had to laugh. I knew that was Dad's way of showing me he was right behind me.

Many friends and family members have asked will I do another marathon.  I thought someday I might...that is until this evening when I could feel a slight discomfort at the end of one of my toes. I decided to investigate and noticed I had one sorry looking blister.  I took care of it and started inspecting the rest of my toes...only to find yet another blister. I was mortified.  I don't think I'll be doing another marathon after seeing that.  My feet are WAY too pretty to be getting blisters!

Brady’s Race Report
I had never cried in the start corral, taken a sponge, *wet my shorts or walked during a marathon, until Sunday.

As I lined up for my fourth marathon, I shed tears. It was the culmination of training, being worried about my foot that I had fractured last winter, raising money, and the knowledge that I would be running for my dad.

During the first half of the marathon, I aimed for a personal record (PR). And I was on track to achieve just that, until I wasn’t. Around miles 12 or 13, I, along with all the other runners, was no longer protected by the shade. We were exposed, and there was no breeze to relieve us from the 80-plus degree heat. I slowed down. I walked at every water stop. I took advantage of the sponges and water hoses.

My friend Jacque joined me around mile 20 and, by then, I felt bad. My quads hurt, and I was hot. I wanted to throw up. I wanted to walk. I ended up walking for maybe a block or two (Jacque should correct me if I'm wrong!). And when I stopped at aid stations, I not only drank water and Gatorade, I poured cups of water on my head.

Before Jacque and I parted ways, I told her I wouldn't be PR’ing. She reminded me, “This is about your dad and your sister. You’re my hero.” Those words were just what I needed to hear for the final miles. As I crossed the finish line in 4 hours, 17 minutes, I cried again.

Like my sister, I knew someone was with me every step of the race. On Saturday night, Brooke gave me a charm that included a photo of our dad. I carried it in my pocket on race day. Every time I felt like walking or throwing in the towel, I touched the charm and thought of my dad.

I doubt any race will compare to how special the Chicago Marathon was for me. It’s my hope that I will be able to run on behalf of the MMRF again. I have such a deep appreciation for this organization and its efforts to fight multiple myeloma. I want to do everything I can to help find a cure for this destructive disease.

*Yes, that actually happened sometime during the final miles of the race.

Best,

Brady and Brooke

P.S. If you still want to donate, it’s not too late. Click here to make a donation before Oct. 24

Becky (Mom), Ben (Brady's husband), Brady, Eric Lund (friend), Brooke, Tony (Brooke's husband), Megan Lund (friend), Paula Mickelson (aunt and photographer), Molly Mickelson (cousin)



No comments: