Monday, November 1, 2010

20

That's the number of days until the Philadelphia Marathon.

When I signed up for the marathon this summer, I did it mostly on impulse. I knew:
a.) I would be depressed after completing the Chicago Marathon.
b.) I seldom do anything exciting to celebrate my birthday, and what better way to make memories than run a marathon in conjunction with blowing out another candle.
c.) it would be nice to have a worry-free marathon after being so emotionally invested in the Chicago Marathon.
d.) while six weeks separating two marathons wasn't ideal, my legs would be somewhat recovered.

Now, only 20 days away from the marathon, I'm ready for it to be here. My nervousness about my foot overshadows any excitement I have for the race. Either bone injuries are sensitive to the cold, or my foot is becoming re-injured. If I can just get through the marathon, I will scale back running in December and focus on mostly, if not exclusively, cross-training. I still want to run with Back on My Feet once a week.

My friend reminded me this weekend that if I want to get faster (and boy, do I ever feel ready mentally to get faster), then I have to let my body recover. I hate taking more than a day off from running. But I dislike even more having to constantly worry about a body part breaking. The stress fracture I suffered last Februrary had not only physical ramifications, but mental ones, as well.

I'm ready to run my heart out at the marathon on Nov. 21 and then take a nice, little break from the sport I love. By January, I hope I'm ready mentally and physically to pick up training again.

1 comment:

Shruti said...

We can't wait to have you out here in Philly! Normally I get annoyed with all the music and stuff at the Eakins Oval waking me up so early on Sunday mornings, but this time around it's totally WORTH IT.