Monday, November 15, 2010

Feeling Restored

Some people celebrate their birthday going out on the town or throwing a party. Some take a vacation. Others might pamper themselves. Me? I'm running a marathon.

If this isn't your first time here, then you know I'm running the Philadelphia Marathon on Sunday to celebrate turning 27. While it's not a milestone year, I want to honor it by doing something memorable. For me, the marathon is about as memorable as it gets.

Since running the Chicago Marathon on Oct. 10, my interest in running Philly has waned. I've had some serious mixed feelings about running this marathon. I felt emotionally spent after Chicago. I gave myself over to training and fund-raising for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. I found myself making deals with God over my once-fractured foot prior to the Chicago Marathon. Understandably I became more concerned about my body post marathon. I also questioned the point of running a second marathon this fall. While I'd like to snatch a PR (personal best) in Philly, I wondered if it was even possible.

Saturday brunch at Perennial with major runnerds.
All of my worries and self-doubt disappeared Saturday when I ran with friends I've made through Twitter. Kate @krzimmer and Michael @Bama26Point2 organized a run and brunch for about a dozen of us. During our 8-mile run and later over food, we talked about running, goals, life. As I ran with Alek @alekbabel, Sean @princess_sean and John @phampants, I felt restored as a runner. My anxiety over Philly was replaced with enthusiasm.

Because of Twitter, I've found a community of runners who love the sport just as much, if not more so, than I do. They are a driven, smart, entertaining and, most important, very supportive bunch of people. They hold me accountable. They make me want to be a better runner and human being. They motivate me.

Some friends and family have questioned my decision to run two marathons in six weeks. There are times when I, too, question my sanity. Then I think of these guys, whom I've come to know through Twitter:

Sam @operationjack: He is running 61 marathons this year in honor of his son, Jack, who has autism. He doesn't consider himself a hero, but he's one to me. Whenever I question pushing myself, I think of him.

Joe @RgulrJoeRunning: To date, he has run three marathons this year, and he is about to run Philly. He is the runner who convinced me to run this marathon. Had it not been for his incredibly detailed and thoughtful description of the race, I might not have signed up. His love for the sport is contagious, and he's one of the most supportive runners I know. I can't wait to meet him in real life on Saturday. He's also a gifted writer, so please check out his blog.

Dave @dp_turtle: Dave runs on behalf of DetermiNation and has raised thousands of dollars for the American Cancer Society over the past several years. If I could raise half as much for the MMRF as he has for ACS, I would be a happy girl. He's also a crazy fast runner who is never short on encouragement for us slower folks.

To my runner friends, thank you. I'm ready for Philly.

9 comments:

DP_Turtle said...

You're going to have a wonderful birthday experience! Like you, my interest after Chicago waned a bit, and self-doubt crept in the days prior to the NY marathon, but it turned out to be my easiest marathon ... mostly because I went into it with no expectations other than to enjoy it.

Here's hoping this marathon helps you have the best birthday ever!

Sue said...

You are going to have a great race and a great birthday! Enjoy every minute of it!

Michelle said...

Good luck in Philly!

With you kick ass positive attitude, your going to do just great!!!!

By the way I am @bklynrunner on twitter.

Anonymous said...

It was a great honor running w/ you on Saturday. Best wishes this weekend as you rock Philly. =)

Sarah Jean said...

Thanks for sharing, Lady! Good luck on the marathon and I hope you make peace with the running...regardless of self-doubt, it seems to be in your soul! Happy early birthday beautiful woman!

Christina said...

Happy birthday!!! I'm excited for you! You'll be awesome!!

See you this weekend!!

@tuesday726

Brady said...

Thanks to everyone for the awesome comments. I should write about runnerds and birthdays more often ;)

Regular Joe Runnning said...

You are going to have so_much_fun in Philly, I promise! I can't wait to meet you. Seriously - it's gonna be a blast, plus...the weather is looking great!

Crysta said...

Happy Birthday and have a great marathon! Just go in with a relaxed, upbeat mindset and it will be great. Can't wait to hear how it goes.