That's how I feel after three days on the job. Pooped. I understand that the word "poop" should be used sparingly, if at all, in a blog about food and other things.
But that's how I feel. When I worked in Washington, I usually felt drained after work. But I loved my job, so that was OK. And I still squeezed in an hour, sometimes more, at the fitness center almost every day. But last week, after the long drive home, I couldn't help but plop in front of the TV. No time for running or making dinner. And on Thursday, when I didn't finish work until midnight, doing anything but going to sleep was out of the question.
So, I wonder, how, after working all day and going for a post-work jog around the lake, am I going to have the energy to cook a meal that has more substance than an English muffin with peanut butter or granola bars.
Alas, I ask you my friends, who topple these everyday issues, for advice.
3 comments:
Many a time when I come home, I have zero energy as well. Stressful jobs = self-motivated cooking/exercising!
Well, seeing as we are definitely entering fall, I do my cooking in the morning.... I use the slow cooker!
This is one easy way to have a fantastic meal without having to deal with it after work!
Tonight we are having pot roast with mashed potatoes and beef gravy along with some stuffing.
I just stick the roast in the slow cooker in the morning topped with some baby carrots and a cut up onion and let it cook ALL day (6 hours on high and 12 on low).
When you come home the house smells AMAZING and the roast is so tender from stewing in it's own juices that it just falls apart!
I make the mashed potatoes and stuffing from a box (because let's face it... I'm tired and have better things to do than peel potatoes and mix dried bread crumbs!)
I use the juice from the roast to make the gravy (place juice in a pot, add 1 can cream of chicken, add some Wondra (thickener), bring to a boil, salt and pepper to taste).
Otherwise there are fun, pre-made stews and other slow cooker ideas that are great for cold months and cut down on cooking.
Sometimes prepping in the morning saves you a lot of headache at night.
Thanks Abby. You're so wise.
Still, I think it may be challenging to get up early enough to prepare food before I head to work. But I will try. In fact, Ben's sister has this great chicken fajita recipe that incorporates the slow cooker. We've made it before, and it's excellent. Maybe we'll have it later this week.
And I should listen to my own advice here -- running dates really help on week nights. I'm running four miles with my cousin Stef tonight. The commitment makes it easier to log those miles every night.
So...I'm wondering why you HAVE to make a big meal every night. Can't you just make weekend meals and maybe one or two during the week and the rest of the time you guys can just fix yourselves something like said english muffin and peanut butter? Just because you guys are married doesn't mean you have to eat like kings every night. I can understand needing to have square meals every night if you have kids but c'mon! You're young! And you work really hard. I would say save your energy for work and playtime and make just a couple good meals a week.
Post a Comment