Sunday, September 23, 2007

Fueling the runner's sole

I think my runner's appetite has returned. Or at least I've got this mentality that just because I'm logging miles, I can eat whatever the heck I want. A case in point: Yesterday I stopped at Panera Bread for some sweet deliciousness after dining at La Brasa and getting beers at Keegan's Pub with Ben. Now, a shortbread cookie from Panera is the least of my worries. I usually down cubicle candy, which must stop. And I just read a CNN article about a study that proves conventional wisdom -- if the food is within sight, you're probably going to demolish it.

That said, feeding the runner's sole is not a bad thing. You need fuel to log those miles. So, without further ado, here's a list of where I filled up this week.

La Grolla
I tried the pear-and-blue cheese salad. When I've ordered this salad at other restaurants, I've loved it. But La Grolla didn't live up to expectations. The spicy pecans were an interesting venture from the status quo -- candied pecans -- but I still like my candied pecans. The grapes were mushy, dull and old. The pears were sliced too thin. But I can't complain about everything. The iced tea was perfect. And my colleague won a free lunch to La Grolla, and invited the whole editorial staff. We all dined for free!

Buca di Beppo
The ambiance worked for me. And the calamari and cheese bread weren't half bad either. But I wouldn't recommend the fettuccine alfredo. It tasted like something out of a Lipton package. I usually hesitate when it comes to seafood pasta, but it was probably the best entree of the night. If you make reservations, don't count on getting seated right away. We waited for 30 minutes. Ben told the manager we were there for a birthday and said he expected some kind of compensation for our wait. We got four monster cakes worth $40. Oh, did I mention that Buca's serves beer in extraordinarily large glasses? It was like drinking your meal.

La Brasa
Every food writer in town has reviewed La Brasa. I'm not sure if it lives up to Rick Nelson's article -- I don't think I would pull my car over so I could start digging in on the take-out. But the rotisserie chicken and pork were moist and sweetly flavored. I highly recommend the fried plantains. La Brasa serves Mexican Coca-Cola (made from sugar cane). Ben thought he died and went to heaven. The service is great, and the waiters are nice. If you want to try something different, check out La Brasa in northeast Minneapolis.

No comments: