Why must I experiment with food?
Tonight I modified a recipe for BLT pasta salad. I didn't have tomatoes, but I used extra bacon and pasta, as well as cheese to make up for the missing ingredient. It's not as unhealthy as it sounds: I used lettuce out of the garden of Ben's parents.
But it tasted flat, despite the dressing. Although I normally don't like the food I make, I threw this stuff in the garbage.
Now I'm sitting here yet another night with a bowl of cereal for dinner. You won't read complaints from me. I could live off of cereal.
But my man needs to eat. And though he's excellent at picking up my slack in the kitchen, he has a rough next few weeks ahead of him at work. He doesn't want to spend time in the kitchen after a 15-hour work day.
I don't blame him. But I can't feed him -- nothing good, anyway.
1 comment:
Here's what I have learned about the whole experimentation with food... about 90% of the time you get a so-so rating, 8% of the time you get rejected all together and 2% is complete success.
If we didn't experiment, how would we learn!! I made chicken with pesto sauce and added zucchini and squash but that was all and I thought it was great because of the pesto and the textures. On the other hand, Joe thought it was just okay. He suggested that if it had been on noodles he would have loved it. Next time I make it, I'll eat what I had and add noodles to his!
I think that's what's fun about cooking. Even if there are times when you have to throw it in the garbage! You learned something!
So, I like to take that 90% of the so-so ratings and work them in to complete success... same with the total failures because they are never a total failure!
Post a Comment