Friday, July 30, 2010

You know you're a real runner when...

Your toenails die. Duh!

Ever since I trained for my first marathon five years ago, one of the toenails on my left foot has never been the same. I notice the toe during long runs, and it often feels sore afterward. By the time I race, it has turned purple and part of the nail has come off.

After last weekend's 14-miler, my toenail had become a real pain...in my foot. On Tuesday, I tried clipping it to relieve pressure. I must have punctured a blister, because it started draining fluid. Blisters under the toenail aren't uncommon in runners.

Despite poking the blister, I still felt pressure under my nail. I did some research and considered puncturing my nail with a hot paper clip or needle to properly drain the blister. My brother-in-law even offered to do it! But, with a 15-miler planned for this weekend, I thought I should wait.

That is, until last night. I was about to go to sleep but I couldn't stop thinking about my toe. I got out the clipper, and I started cutting away. Slowly, and with little pain, the toe nail came off. It was dead anyway.

Both Ben and my mom expressed some concern, so I mentioned the "surgery" I performed on my toe during my annual physical today. The physician's assistant said it looked good, and I have no need for antibiotics. Yay!

I feel like a true road warrior, with one less toenail.

No comments: