There I am at mile 26, still smiling.
On Sunday, I ran the Twin Cities Marathon and finished the 26.2-mile race in 4 hours, 20 minutes -- my personal best. I have only run one other full marathon, and that was three years ago.
It wasn't an easy race. It rained between miles 3 and 13. And not some mist, either. Ponds formed in the road. My hands got so cold that when my shoelace came undone at mile 8, I couldn't get my fingers to work to tie it. After two minutes, I asked a spectator if he would kindly double-knot my shoe. He did, and I wish I got his name. I'd write him a thank-you letter. My soaked shorts and T-shirt stuck to my skin. And my shoes were water-logged within the first few miles.
Crummy weather aside, I had fun. And I would run the Twin Cities Marathon again in the same weather conditions in a heartbeat. I might wear gloves, though.
The best thing about the marathon was having those I love come out and support me. They cheered me on like I was a rock star athlete -- at least in their eyes -- for a few hours one day. At mile 7, Ben showed up on his bike. He shouted and made certain every runner near me knew I was his wife. A few steps later, my cousin Stef and good friend Britt cheered me on. They were soaked, too, but didn't mind standing in the rain to see me run by. I saw them near miles 17, 21 and the finish. My friends Naomi and LeAnn showed up, too.
And the spectators I didn't know -- who cheered me on by yelling out my bib number or the color of my shirt. The ones who reminded me there was a cool T-shirt at the end. The ones who told me that I looked great and it would all be over in a few more miles. The one who didn't know me, but got down on his knee and tied my shoe anyway.
I was happy to cross the finish line Sunday. But within a few hours, I was mourning the end of training and having the marathon behind me. What happens next?
Today I signed up for a half-marathon that I will run with my friend LeAnn on Oct. 25. I hope to run the Fargo Marathon in May. And Ben and I plan to sign up for the Chicago Marathon in October 2009. .
Running is in my blood. It relieves my stress. It boosts my confidence. It almost guarantees that I will get to spend time with my good friend Naomi every week (we're running soul mates, though she's the faster runner of the couple). And when I'm running around the lake or along the river by myself, it's a time when I get to think of only myself. There are no outside demands -- it's just me and the sound of my feet hitting the pavement.
It's my thing.
2 comments:
Great job Brady! Nancy and I kept looking for you to no avail. We think you passed right by us and we just missed you - darn. That photo at the end is great to see, glad you were still smiling like always. :)
Watching everyone run again might plan the seed in my interest in getting back at it. It'd be a pretty good goal for 2009.
Brady...I am so proud of you!! I seriously can not imagine running to begin with, but TWENTY SIX miles? And, to still be smiling at the end of it? WOW! You SHOULD BE proud of yourself!
Love,
A.V.
Post a Comment