Most friends think I'm crazy to run as much as I do. They should read the weekly profiles of "regular" runners online at Runners' World. Those folks log maybe 60-plus miles a week. My 38-mile week earlier this month doesn't compare.
I plan to celebrate Labor Day weekend at home for Box Car Days. Before I can pound back glasses of MGD in the beer tent, I have to run 20 miles. You read that right -- 20 miles.
I think I've convinced my sister to rollerblade the entire route with me, which is such a blessing. When you're alone running on a hot day, anything over mile 10 seems grueling and the mind can start to do funny things. You want to quit.
I told my mom tonight that, yes, I actually have to train and do seemingly foolish things like run 20 miles on the weekend. I explained to her that the Twin Cities Marathon is like the Olympics for mortals. Only instead of training for four years, it's more like four months. And we mortals don't want to half-ass it during training. You try for 110 percent because on the big day -- in my case, the marathon -- you want to be victorious. Whether that's first place and a $20,000 purse, or a medal and a T-shirt for finishing.
1 comment:
Box Car Days!!! Oh, I keep forgetting that's on Labor Day weekend! I used to attempt to be there for Box Car Days because Erin loved it so much. I believe I made it twice... a very, very long time ago!
Good luck with your training! You are crazy, but it's a good crazy!
Post a Comment