We found the house yesterday.
It had three bedrooms and two full bathrooms. The location was just three blocks from Lake Harriet. It had all the amenities we wanted, and it didn't need thousands in repairs.
We thought we'd make an offer. We were so serious that we went through the house a third time, marking down any items we wanted thrown in with the house (i.e. appliances).
Then we got home. And we thought about it a bit more. It's a challenging decision; I have a hard enough time buying a $9 T-shirt from Target.
There will likely be no better time to buy a house. It's a buyer's market. Getting a house now could pay off later.
But....
Ben and I worry about a house becoming our life. If he goes to grad school, we can rent the place. That's somewhat easy. But if we want to drop everything and travel the world for six months or a year -- something we're contemplating -- having a mortgage will make it very hard to do that.
We're not making an offer, and we're not going to rush into buying a house. This doesn't mean our search is over. We'll continue to look for a house, perhaps something less expensive. Something that won't be our ball and chain.
1 comment:
Oh, I remember those scary times when you go from a few student loans... nothing major, to THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING IN THE WORLD!
Sometimes I still feel weird that I bought something SO expensive, but then I remember that when we go to move, we will get most of/all/more money back than what we paid (at least enough for a healthy down payment on a house that we REALLY want!)
For the record, I still have issues paying $9 for a Target t-shirt!!
Post a Comment