Sunday, February 13, 2011

Third time's the charm

Where have I been? I've been contemplating a damn entertaining post, that's where. And, I've come up with: nothing. But, I do have some news to share.

If you follow me on Twitter or friend me on Facebook, then you already know. I'm running the Twin Cities Marathon on Oct. 2.

Before you start heckling me for my decision to run a marathon when I haven't quite recovered from 2010 (and my foot still hurts -- ouch!), let me explain:

1. I want to run a marathon. Marathon-ing is in my blood.
2. I've felt lousy during years I haven't run a full marathon.
3. I love the Twin Cities Marathon:
--It has a small field, beautiful course and spectacular support. Fans line the entire course. They put the nice in Minnesota nice.
--Since I'm moving back to Minneapolis, this race is a cheap, convenient option.
--I know the course like the back of my hand having raced it twice and trained on it multiple times.
--I'm hungry for another PR. It's time to break 4 hours, baby. Wouldn't it be fun to do that with friends and family watching in my home state? Yes, I think so.
--One of my fondest memories in racing comes from the Twin Cities Marathon. I ran it for the second time in 2008. It poured for the first 13 miles. Around mile 8, my shoelace came untied. I was so cold from the rain that I couldn't operate my fingers well enough to tie it. I was ready to start crying when I walked up to a spectator and kindly asked him to tie my shoe (double knot, please). He bent over and tied my shoe -- in the rain -- without hesitation. I will never ever forget that.

So, I'm returning to the Twin Cities Marathon for the third time, and I couldn't be more excited. Please be happy for me, too -- and pray for my foot.

UPDATE: Some of my favorite #runnerds @bikerly (#1 Top Monkey), @alekbabel and @fiftyforbilly will also be running the Twin Cities Marathon. They are awesome people. I heart them.

4 comments:

Emma said...

I'll be there cheering you on, Brady! Can't wait to start running with you this summer

Anonymous said...

Brady, glad you are back on the blog... but, I think you forgot to list your buddy bikerly is running it too #1 :)

regards, bikerly

PS I'd still tie your shoe for you.

PPS you are still on the secret brohammerheadsharks twitter list

Ashley said...

Brady -

Even though we don't know each other very well, I love reading your blog. You're a great writer and a very dedicated runner. From your Chicago Marathon efforts for your Dad to training for a sub-4:00 race, I'm always inspired by your posts. Just wanted you to know!

Hope to run into you before Kellogg graduation splits us all up! Maybe we can grab coffee sometime!

Take care and keep writing,
Ashley

Brady said...

Emma: I can't wait!

Jim: If we run together, you can tie my shoe.

Ashley: You are too sweet. Let's get coffee, OK? Thank you!