Sunday, February 24, 2008

Best idea of the week. Maybe month.

I can't take credit. My aunt, who gave me a bag of yellow corn tortillas yesterday, is the brain behind this: homemade tortilla chips.

I love, love, love restaurant-style tortilla chips. It's next to impossible to find quality chips at the grocery store. And it had never really occurred me to make them at home. That is, until my aunt suggested it.

So tonight I set out to make the warm, crispy, salty tortilla chips that I've only found in Mexican restaurants. Mission accomplished. Even someone who's as incompetent in the kitchen as me can pull it off.

Here's what you need to do:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut small corn tortillas into six triangles. (I used about a 1/3 of a bag for two people)
Set the tortillas on a cookie sheet.
Brush them with a 1:2 mix of olive oil and lime juice (1 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. lime juice)
Sprinkle with salt.
Sprinkle with chili powder (optional).

Bake for 7 to 8 minutes on each side at 350 degrees.

I plan to make more chips tomorrow night and can't wait to share them with family and friends. Yeah, they're that good.

2 comments:

Abby Martinek said...

Brilliant!!

I'm all over this one! Joe LOVES Mexican food and chips and salsa are his typical snack.

I bet even he can make this himself!

Abby Martinek said...

Have you ever had Shepard's Pie?

I made it last night after craving it for some time and forgot how wonderful and easy it is!